Entire Food System May Be Contaminated with BPA

An article on Grist last week shared the findings of a new study which have found bisphenol A contamination in a number of products -- a result which is unfortunately becoming commonplace except for one critical factor: the foods testing positive for BPA were organic, locally sourced, and strangely enough, not packaged in plastic.

Poland Spring Bottles May be Contaminated By Gasoline

A disturbing warning issued by the New Hampshire department of health warns consumers to be wary of Poland Spring bottled water, which has been found to contain traces of gasoline contamination, the Huffington Post reports. According to an article written by Dominique Mosbergen, 3 and 5 gallon water bottles purchased after November 1st of last year may be contaminated by gasoline in the aftermath of the destruction caused by Super storm Sandy, and should be checked for fumes before consumption. Writes Mosbergen:

If the Food's in Plastic, What's in the Food?

In an article run by the Washing Post today, writer Susan Freinkel reports on the disturbingly ubiquitous nature of plastic and its associated chemicals in food, as a result of contact with plastic packaging. She discusses a study conducted last year which showed that a descrease in the use of food in plastic packaging significantly lowered bisphenol-A levels in the body, and discusses the complexity and conflicting opinions presented by different organizations.

Our Contaminated World

By David Crews and Andrea Gore, the Huffington Post

By the end of this month the FDA will announce whether to ban the use of bisphenol-A in food and beverage packaging. The chemical, also known as BPA, is already banned in the European Union, Canada, and for certain uses in 12 states in this country.

Widespread BPA contamination in paper products, study suggests

By Stephen Neese, Environmental Health News

Bisphenol-A contaminates a wide range of paper products, providing another source of human exposure to this chemical. Bisphenol-A (BPA) seems impossible to avoid. It contaminates food, thermal receipts and drinks served in certain plastic bottles. ... Read More.

Syndicate content