We know it’s true. But if you type the words “Girls can” into Google, you might be surprised at what queries top the list of suggested searches.
We thought we’d put our own spin on the recent UN Women campaign highlighting the negative results you get when you type “women shouldn’t,” “women need to,” “women cannot,” and “women should” into the search box and the most popular queries pop up.
Instead of highlighting negative stereotypes about girls and women that often pop up in searches, we’ve created a few graphics that highlight the power of girls and show what we’d like to see.
These are just some of the options. How would you fill in the blanks?
There are many ways to help recovery efforts in the Philippines following Typhoon Haiyan, which is widely recognized as the largest storm ever to make landfall.
Operation USA has already distributed water purification supplies and shipped emergency relief supplies to meet immediate needs. In the long term, Operation USA will focus on projects supporting safe water, post traumatic stress and mental health treatment, education, and public health.
Donations to Operation USA typhoon relief will be allocated directly to recovery efforts in the Philippines. Read on to learn more!
HOW TO HELP:
Donate online at donate.opusa.org, by phone at 1-800-678-7255 or, by check made out to Operation USA, PO BOX 36188, Los Angeles, CA 90036-0188. Donations can also be made via text message: text AID to 50555 to donate $10. Text donations are collected for the benefit of Operation USA by the mGive Foundation and subject to the terms found at www.mGive.org/t.
Donate to Operation USA through United Airlines’ typhoon relief campaign at http://www.crowdrise.com/UnitedRelief-OperationUSA.
Corporate donations supporting recovery and rebuilding efforts — bulk quantities of disaster- appropriate supplies, transportation and shipping services, shelter, power generation, water purification and medical supplies — are also being requested.
United and Continental air miles can be donated to Operation USA through United Airlines Charity Miles program at http://www.united.com.
You’ve heard of Black Friday. You’ve heard of Cyber Monday. Have you heard of Giving Tuesday?
The idea is simple: there’s a day for giving thanks, there’s a day for getting deals, and now, there’s a day for giving back! This year, we hope you’ll join the national celebration of giving with Operation USA. Mark your calendar–Giving Tuesday is Tuesday, December 3, 2013.
Here are the top 5 ways you can get involved with Operation USA this #GivingTuesday:
1) Donate. Visit donate.opusa.org to make a financial gift in support of our programs. Donations support our ongoing work around the world in areas such as The Philippines, where typhoon victims are struggling to recover.
2) Get Mobile. Join our mobile community by texting OPUSA to 50555, then follow the prompts to complete your profile.* You’ll receive occasional updates (we won’t spam you!) from us highlighting opportunities to give and new ways to get involved.
3) Socialize. Sometimes, the greatest support you can give us is word of mouth! Share our message with friends and contacts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by using the hash tag #GivingTuesday and tagging @OperationUSA.
4) Support our annual toy drive. Each year, we try to make the holidays a little bit brighter for underprivileged children and teens in the LA area. We’re currently accepting new, unused gift items from individuals and companies. For more info on how to make a donation or get your business involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Buy holiday cards. Send some holiday cheer to friends and family with our new holiday cards. For a $15 donation per card, we’ll send one to the recipient(s) of your choice with a special message letting them know you made a donation in their name. Donations for holiday card purchase support relief and recovery work worldwide.
Send some holiday cheer and support Operation USA’s projects and programs around the world! When you make a donation* to Op USA this holiday season we’ll send a special holiday card to the recipient(s) of your choosing with this message:
In the spirit of the season,
has made a donation to
Operation USA in your name.
To order, simply follow these steps:
1) Visit donate.opusa.org and make your donation of $15 per card you’d like to send
2) Enter “Holiday Cards” in the memo section at the bottom of the page
3) Email email@example.com with a list of names and addresses of your recipients
4) Sit back and relax, we’ll send your cards out for you in time for the holidays!
If you have questions, or prefer to place your order by phone, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 323.413.2353 and we’ll be happy to help.
*minimum $15 donation per card